Make your love story one worth telling.

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Besties, Baristas, and Beverages


I’m really more a tea person than a coffee person. One pro who came to work Christmas camp at the ranch pointed out the many ‘isms’ that are Polkahontas, one of which being the coffee mug constantly attached to my hand. The kitchen staff orders almond milk in bulk and keeps the good tea on hand for me. On the really cold mornings I’ll make my tea while I announce to them, ‘Does anyone want to teach tennis for me this morning? Going once….going twice…..’. My tribal-patterned mug warms my hands, containing the perfect ratio of hot tea and almond milk. My tea preferences went out the window when Matt put a steaming cup of Chemex-brewed coffee in front of me. Matt and Katie’s adorable golden-doodle, Dirk watched intently as I took my first sip of Matt’s concoction. Now, I don’t know if I possess the words to describe how GOOD this coffee was. Matt informed me that he had roasted the beans himself. I believed him. I would have believed him if he said that he planted the tree in South America and flew down once a week to fertilize it only with the manure of the most noble Clydesdales, then harvested the beans himself, roasting each bean individually to perfection only to grind it personally on a mono and metate made of the finest marble that he also mined himself. It was pretty good coffee. With that charge, Katie and I tried to talk Matt into joining our yoga session, to no avail. It was a great night with the newlyweds. We chatted about concepts of love and how to love people most effectively. Katie is one of my longtime friends from home. She and I are bonded by events from our past that we got through together. Because I love her so much, it is heartwarming to see her happy in a new home with her pup and barista man.
Texas is BIG. Six hours into my drive across the broad back of this state, I was tired. I stopped to make myself a PB&J at a gas station. I sat on the trunk of my car, picnicking and watching truckers watch me. When I finally arrived at Marisha’s house I got my second wind.
‘It’s the weekend. We’re going out. Let’s gooooooooooo!’ Marisha is also a friend from home who guides me in each season of my life. She is the perfect combination of therapist and friend. She is often the voice on the other end of the phone, encouraging me and reassuring me that I am not crazy. We settled for a trendy lounge and found ourselves in enlightening conversation about that incredible and terrifying realization that we can do anything we want in this life. Two bold men who invited themselves to sit down with us interrupted the magic. They were ordinary guys who wouldn’t stop talking about their research project. I played along, seeing a free drink in my future. Marisha wouldn’t have any of it. She would probably disagree with this version of the story, but seeing as I’m writing the tale and she’s not able to defend herself, I’ll say this; she practically beat the poor guys away with her Fossil wallet. As they scurried away with tails between their legs, Marisha turned to me with a sick smile and said, ‘I’m not sharing you.’ This is why I love Marisha and our relationship; She isn’t afraid of hurting anyone’s feelings by being straightforward. As we finished our libations I looked at her mischievously and told her I had an idea.
‘Let’s ditch the tab. I’ll pretend to go to the bathroom, and you follow after me.’
‘What?!! No! We can’t do that! I’m not doing that! Darrah, NO.’ I didn’t let up.
‘Come on, it’s not a big deal. This trip is about being adventurous. Let’s go.’ I got up and walked out of the lounge. It took Marisha a full minute of sitting in agony before she asked to pay the bartender, who informed her that I had paid the tab while she was in the bathroom. She came out of the lounge with smoke coming out of her ears.
‘I hate you.’ She fumed. But the smile on her face told me something different. That’s another reason I love Marisha. She’s honest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment