Make your love story one worth telling.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Twas the night before the Tour.....

It was a long, cold morning on the court as I finished the last clinic I will work for a month. It was nearly impossible to keep my mind on feeding the little yellow ball to the shivering high school campers, as I wasn't present on the court. I was already drinking wine in Caidon's kitchen, singing with Lady Gaga in my car, and setting up my yoga mat on the Grand Canyon floor. Balls whizzed by my head and brought me back to the present. It is the night before I leave on my journey, 'Tour de Polkahontas'. Polkahontas is a nickname my friends at the tennis camp have spread like wildfire upon realizing my Navajo & German roots. The kids eat it up. Today is full of anticipation, nerves and butterflies that energize my mind even though my body is tired from a long weekend on the courts.
Last night after the campers went to bed, I sat alone by our traditional Saturday night campfire at the pavilion, pondering purpose. When I find myself back at the ranch in a month I'd like to look back on this tour with a sense of accomplishment. This trip is about connecting with people. It's about seeing old friends, meeting new ones, and throwing myself into foreign experiences. I have a strong belief that only growth can come from traveling out of the comfort zones we've carved for ourselves. Pushing my own limits has taken me places; It took me to New York on the set of the Maury Show, the rooftop Hilton Penthouse Suite on New Year's Eve (most recently), and led me to a great job as a tennis pro at the ranch.
Tour de Polkahontas has been designed to be just flexible enough to let in the opportunities that life yields without warning. Some of these curve balls will be positive. Some may be stressful. I can feel my mind preparing itself to accept whatever may come with wisdom and appreciation. I will be taking 15 minutes out of each day to meditate, with yoga to follow (the yoga is more of a necessity to prevent my muscles from hating me after my Grand Canyon hike). Research shows that people who meditate and do yoga are actually happier than those who don't. One of the things I love about tennis is that it is a percentage game. We hit approach shots down the line and go for kick serves out wide because these tactics give us the best possible chance of winning the point, and therefore, the match. In the percentage game of life, meditation and yoga give me the best possible chance at a happy and appreciative life.
I'll relay my travels as best I can. I've already fallen in love with the story of this trip, and it has yet to happen. Sit back, enjoy, and live vicariously through my tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment