Make your love story one worth telling.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Polkahontas in the GC: Part 2- The Prodigal Moccasin


Dinner at Phantom Ranch seems extravagant. A salad full of fresh greens, turnips, beets, and other fresh vegetables is not what one might expect to find at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. As I feasted on salad, vegetarian chili, corn bread, and chocolate cake, I got to know the people at my table. There was a family to my left from Arizona and another family on my right from Colorado. The two women in front of me also had bunks next to me in the dorm, Amy and Lois. Amy lives in Santa Fe, so we were instantly bonded as fellow New Mexicans. They grilled me about life as a tennis pro, and asked if I ever get tired of being around so many men. They were great company.
After the meal, I hobbled out of the dining room due to my tight muscles (whoever designed stairs leading to the canteen is a sadist). I stopped at the dorm to grab my journal and yoga mat and walked over to the bank of Bright Angel Creek. The sun had set on the canyon, taking with it the comfortable heat I had felt on my hike in. I sat on a familiar rock that I have sat on to write every time I’ve been at Phantom. A lot of thinking has been done on that rock, a lot of stargazing and daydreaming. When it got too dark to write I fit in a short yoga session as my traumatized muscles protested.
When the canteen opened later that night, I drank wine with an older couple from Prescott, Nick and Laurel. Laurel and I graduated from the same college, though she beat me by 35 years. After a while, I hopped a table over to see what the commotion was. The Colorado crew was in an intense game of poker, playing with matchsticks instead of chips. They poured me a tall glass of wine and playfully shamed me for not knowing how to play poker. One more table over sat Christian from Ecuador and a crew from California playing Left Right Center. I played a few rounds with them as we talked about tennis, mental hospitals, and hiking. Next I wandered over to the table of Phantom Ranch workers and played a few rounds of Apples to Apples with them. Each table I socialized with heard my sad moccasin story as I pleaded them to keep an eye out for it.
‘If you see a lone moccasin on your hike out tomorrow, let it know I’m looking for it!’ The Coloradans kept filling my wine glass. I left the canteen with a slight weave to my hobble. I sway-limped back to the creek and spent the next thirty minutes lying on the bank with my face to the stars. There was no moon visible in the perimeter of the canyon walls, leaving the sky very dark. Since there is virtually no light pollution in the canyon, the stars are brilliant. I saw hundreds and hundreds of bright stars in the night sky, framed by the dark silhouette of the canyon walls. The Milky Way was faintly visible, a faded avenue of radiance in the sky. I gave Orion a nod and headed off to bed.
The next morning I had breakfast and said goodbye to my new friends. Everyone started hiking out around 6, but I went back to bed. After a short nap I shoved my sore feet into my boots and put on my hiking shirt, a worn out t-shirt with an adorable pig on it saying, 'please don't eat me, I love you'. A friend gave me the shirt in high school and I've worn it every time I've hiked out of the Grand Canyon because it has good juju. I set off toward the river where I stopped to do yoga. As I stretched my complaining muscles on the riverbank, the first rays of sun broke into the canyon. Another beautiful sunrise was captured on Tour de Polkahontas. After yoga I secured my pack and started toward the silver bridge, hurrying to beat the mules, to avoid the extra obstacle of dancing around their fresh ‘gifts’ on the trail. Crossing the suspension bridge is something I’ve never been comfortable with. The bridge is made of metal, with open metal grates between your feet and the chilly river water rushing 60 feet below. To avoid looking down, I looked up in envy at the warm, sunny canyon walls. At the end of the bridge, I had a decision to make. I could go left to the South Kaibab trail, or right up the Bright Angel trail. I had originally planned on going out the South Kaibab trail, as it is 3 miles shorter than Bright Angel and would take me about an hour less. But since my moccasin was lost on the Bright Angel Trail, I took a deep breath and a right. I had a long hike ahead of me.
The first two hours of the hike were uneventful. I kept expecting to turn a corner and see my moc on the trail, patiently awaiting my arrival. But I didn’t. I started passing fellow Phantom Ranch guests who would eagerly ask me if I’d found my shoe. No luck. One of these was Christian from Ecuador. He and I continued on together. Halfway up at Tonto Point, we ran into a couple from Utah I’d had breakfast with, Dave and Cheryl.
‘Did you find it?’ asked Dave.
‘Nope. Nada’ I replied.
‘Bummer. Well, I did.’ Out of his pack he pulled my dirty clay colored moccasin. I shouted in joy and over-dramatically held the moccasin to my chest, thanking the heavens. I thanked the couple profusely. Just up the trail was the rest of the Phantom Ranch crew. As I approached them I triumphantly held my prodigal moccasin in the air as they cheered and threw their hands in the air for the full effect. It was a silly but epic moment that made me laugh out loud. I tied my moc to my pack (double knotted) and continued on after Christian.
Christian is a kind soul with a deep appreciation of people. He works in finance and relocated from Ecuador to D.C. where he loves living. We set a good pace for each other. We figured we had about two more hours of hiking before we reached the rim. The ‘easy’ part of the hike was over, meaning we only had steep switchbacks ahead of us. As we hiked we talked. We talked about our families, marriage, tennis, travel, careers, money, food (I felt like Bubba from Forrest Gump talking about green chile-‘Yeah, you can make green chile gravy, green chile enchiladas, green chile rellanos, green chile hummus, green chile stew…’), and people. I asked him if he’d ever met any interesting people on the road, to which he replied, ‘Well, you now’.  I smiled.
The conversation quieted as we reached higher elevation; the air got thinner and the trail steeper. We were sweating, though the sun wasn’t on us. The chill of the canyon shade plagued us for hours. After a while we started passing more fresh-looking tourists with tote bags and big cameras, a sure sign that the top was approaching. I was tired. My heart pounded, my head throbbed, but most of all, I was HUNGRY. Cold sweat drenched my clothes under my pack. About ¾ mile from the top I thought about stopping to sit. I didn’t know if I could finish strong. Then we came around corner to see sunshine about a quarter mile away. I needed to feel the sunshine on my face. Then Christian piped up from behind me.
‘Beer is good after a hike. Let’s go for beer after this’ he said in his thick, Ecuadorian accent. It was the best thing I’ve heard come out of anyone’s mouth, ever. I kept moving, pounding my feet against the trail.
Left. Right. Left. Right. Sunshine. Beer. Sunshine. Beer. Sunshine.
When we finally made it to sun I basked in it. It felt amazing on my face and skin. But after that short window of sunshine we were back in the shade, motivating us to finish strong. We passed the spot where I stopped to gather myself on the way down. Getting closer. Sunshine. Beer. We passed the spot where I had taken a picture for an elderly couple the day before. Getting close. Sunshine. Beer. Sunshine Beer. We passed the spot where I slipped and broke my phone. Sunshine. Beer. Beer! BEER!. We reached the trailhead, felt the sun on our faces, threw off our packs and collapsed. After four hours, 10 miles, and 4,500 vertical feet, we were done. 
After due time spent not moving, my needs came into play. I needed to change out of wet clothes. I needed food. I promised to meet Christian at the bar after cleaning up and eating.  I limped to my car and took off my boots. I made a sandwich, which I ate in about three bites. As I ate I sat on the trunk of my car in the sun overlooking the Grand Canyon. I was still hungry but I didn’t want to move. Rather, I didn’t think I was capable of movement. Then, suddenly, a thought entered my mind. It was the only thought in the world capable of making me move; mashed potatoes.
I feverishly pulled my Jetboil out of my pack and searched like a mad woman for a match, finally finding a book in a crevice in my car. I cranked the gas to high and added the dehydrated cheesy potatoes the second the water boiled. With vigorous stirring, the concoction soon turned into buttery, creamy pillows of deliciousness. I took one bite and harshly burnt my tongue. I immediately took another bite. It was the most delicious thing I have ever eaten in my whole life. I wish I could say that I took a break from stuffing my face to clean up and look presentable. I wish I could say that I ate a few bites and got full….or at least that I ate this pile of mashers daintily like a lady. I wish I could tell you that I didn’t eat the whole thing all by myself. But I can’t. Because that wouldn’t be a good story, now would it? In reality, I sat on my car in my sweaty clothes and disheveled hair and shoveled heaps of the buttery, cheesy gold into my mouth as fast as I could. Tourists walked by and looked at me like I was mad. I might have been. When the last bite was devoured, I put on my moccasins, took a ‘Yankee shower’ (as my friend Josh would say) with deodorant and perfume, and hobbled to the bar to meet Christian. We enjoyed our hard-earned beer and rested. He sent me my picture that he had taken for me on the hike; the only picture I have to commemorate this trip to the canyon. Christian and I exchanged information and promised to call if we’re in each other’s area. With much difficulty, I walked along the rim toward my car. There were tourists everywhere, taking pictures and gasping at the beauty of the canyon. Out of the 5 million people who visit the canyon each year, only 1% go below the rim. I felt bad for the visitors on the rim. They were happy snapping a picture and saying they’d been there, but I felt like I had a secret. I’d had an affair with the canyon. We had a story together, an intimate relationship- a story of appreciation, pain, struggle, friendship, determination, love, disappointment, triumph, accomplishment and beauty. They would never know the canyon like I did. I took one last look at the majestic hole in the earth, groaned as I stretched, then painfully climbed into my car and zoomed away. Macklemore was still playing on my radio.


No comments:

Post a Comment